Monday, August 20, 2012

Sick...again!




You had a very rough week with being sick and teething. Started with a temp of 103 on the night of Thursday, August 9, so I took you in to the doctor first thing Friday morning. You had a barely red throat and it hadn't gotten to your ears yet...so, I thought I did a good thing by bringing you in early. Not so much. The doctor gave you Zithromax and it did nothing for you. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. You were miserable for the next few days. Totally not yourself and it was so hard to see (and a bit hard to deal with you!). I felt awful and got teary quite a few times because I didn't know what to do for you (as did your grandmas and maybe even Ray!). There were a few half hour or more screaming sessions that usually included a few instances of banging your head against the hardwood or actually anything hard. I got a little worried about your noggin after awhile and you began to look like a very clumsy or (gasp) an abused child. After a few times, we were all able to pick up the signs and intervene before your head would hit something. However, the 5 goose eggs on your forehead and cheek were awesome evidence that we did not learn those signs quickly enough!

By Wednesday of the following week, I knew I wasn't going to waste anymore time with hoping or thinking the medicine was going to start helping. I didn't care if you had just finished your antibiotic - it CLEARLY was not working. So, Gma Kim came over while I ran to work for my meeting and then afterwards, I took you to the doctor with Gma Debbie.  Turns out, you had a nasty double ear infection, sore throat and 4 of the most painful teeth coming in! OMG, you poor baby. Doc prescribed Cefdnir as usual and I swear by the afternoon, you were already starting to get back to yourself. Gma Debbie and Ray said you were great on Thursday and by Friday, Gma Kim said you were definitely back to yourself.  The weekend was even more proof that we were getting our happy little man back - we went to Ayla's birthday party on Saturday, Madison's baptism and party on Sunday and then Emmy and Nancy came to visit Sunday evening. You were showing off and being a ham per your normal self at every step! It made my heart soar! We are all super relieved to have you back - broke all of our hearts to see you in so much pain.

It honestly seems that you can pick up a harmless germ and it morphs into something awful for you. You were around a few kids with coughs and colds not too long before you got sick, so I am guessing you just got it a lot worse than they did. I pray that this is it for awhile...I know we are on the road to tubes if your poor ears don't make a turn for the better. I am just going to have faith that, like me, when you hit two, your ear infections decrease substantially. At least, I have learned the tell tale signs now - the second I think you could even possibly have an ear infection, I am at the doctor's doorstep. Call me crazy, but I would much rather know than just assume it's just teeth/runny nose/cough and let it runs its course. Especially, since you are around other kids. Hate to tell you this, but I will probably be like that your whole life - you are my world and I will always put you and your health first. Always!

Poor sweet pea. The only way he would nap on Sunday 8/12.
Waiting outside the doctor's office at 8:00 AM on the dot!
Enjoying some animal crackers!



What? Is this not a toy for me?
 
 
Not the best picture, but you can kind of see all of the goose eggs on his forehead
and the one on his right cheek!
And, the one in the middle of his forehead!!
Another one of these pictures! Let the little monkey lay in bed with me while we
watched some cartoons before bed one night - that's what you do when
you're sick, right?! Love those little hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment