Friday, September 28, 2012

Hand, Foot and Mouth...again!

 

Poor baby. No one should have to get this once, let alone twice!! Luckily, both times, his seemed to be pretty minimal though. I know his poor little mouth had sores on the inside, which was the worst part even though he didn't look bad from the outside. He was attached to his plug 24/7, but I can only imagine how awful his mouth hurt. We felt so bad and just tried to keep on the meds.

It all came on VERY quickly. We were with Cora and Liz at the Children's Discovery Museum having a great time when all of a sudden he became very sad. Well, Miss Cora didn't want him to take the wheel in the car at the museum and that made him mad and then upset. But, I have not seen him cry like that before. He was soooo sad. As I was hugging him, I realized that he was on fire. Once we got home, I took his temp and it was 102. He took an almost 4 hour nap and when he woke up, it was down to 100. The next morning we took it and it was normal, but he just looked sicky. His eyes were red and puffy and knowing his history with ear infections, we didn't want to chance it. We also really thought it was just teeth because he would take his plug out and point to his mouth and say, "ow".  Besides that, he was acting completely fine, but better safe than sorry. We took him to Prompt Care and sure enough, he had a mild ear infection in his right ear. So, we thought we did a good job being proactive.

Fast forward to Monday morning. Darin called me at work to let me know that it looked like Jameson had bitten his lips overnight. I instantly thought, oh no, it's hand, foot and mouth. I asked Darin to take a look and he said there were no other red bumps anywhere and it really just looked like he had bitten his lips. An hour later, he called back to tell me there were bumps around his mouth now and it was definitely HFM. Ugh. Poor kid. I have NO clue where he could have picked this up seeing as how he isn't in daycare. But, it would be our luck that he got it from Target or the Grocery store or something! We continued on the meds to ease his pain. And, it was kind of nice because Darin and I took turns staying home that week, so we got in lots of Jameson time. The bumps never got bad at all - just a few around his mouth and what looked like a mild little rash around his shoulders. By Thursday, he was back to normal and the bumps were barely visible.

Hopefully, this will be the last time HFM visits our household. I always feel so bad when he is in pain like that and there is nothing I can do or say to make it better. Luckily, he can understand us better now, so we can try to explain things a little better. And, better yet, he is old enough to have ice cream, which can make anyone feel better :). 


Poor little sicky eyes and bumpy mouth!
Bumpy chest and arms.
Still happy though!!
And, now he stole my camera and was having some fun!
Hanging out with Mom watching some Hot Dog (Mickey).
Chillin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment