Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks All Year Round

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! My little turkey was very excited to celebrate his first Thanksgiving...as you can tell from the pictures! This month, I made it a point to jot down something I was thankful for each day. Although, I think this is a good little exercise, I feel like I should continue even after the month of November. 1) Because there are not enough days in a month to say what I am thankful for and 2) it is always good to be reminded just how blessed I am. So, when Jameson gets a little older, we are definitely going to do this every November and then make it a point to remember to be thankful every single day. I am thinking of making a scrapbook of all the things he writes down, so he can go back each year and look to see what he was thankful for at that time. Hopefully, this will be a tradition that carries on through the years.

I am also going to always instill "doing good deeds". I think we lose sight of just how much impact a kind gesture can have on another person. It usually doesn’t take much other than a little time and maybe a little cash. Darin is always so good about being a gentlemen, so holding a door open for someone or letting someone go in front of you in traffic is something that will be a given. But, I will try to encourage him to do a little more. Send a note to someone just to brighten their day, buy the person behind you in the drive-through whatever it is they ordered, give away one stuffed animal each year to someone less fortunate, smile at people, offer to help carry groceries for someone, shovel the neighbor's driveway after a big snowfall, etc. I want my son to grow up thinking this is normal and not with the mindset that you should always get something in return. He will grow up knowing that the feeling you get when you do something nice for someone is reward enough.

Now, off to enjoy some family time and of course good food! Happy Turkey Day!!
My little turkey!

Take this thing OFF me!!

Turkey bottom!

Cousins!

Watching some football!

Jameson's turkey!

Family pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment